Monday, September 20, 2004

Museum of Tolerance

My mom and I went to the Museum of Tolerance on Sunday. It was one of the best museums that I have ever been to. I strongly recommend it to everyone who ever finds themselves in LA, Manhattan, or Jerusalem - I believe.

The museum seriously propelled me deep into thought. I find most things about the Holocaust to be indescribable - beyond words. This museum did an amazing job at conveying the feeling, the facts, the words, the emotions, everything that is that time period - probably the darkest time period of humanity.

On Sundays, they have Holocaust survivors avaible to speak and we attended one of these. It was an amazing story that I don't think I will ever be able to forget. The generation that actually survived the Holocaust is getting older and it may not be long until speakers like this are nonexistent. I feel priveleged to have heard her story.

So much of what I learned at the museum will become increasingly relevant as I attempt to understand the impact of the Holocaust on the German people. I hope to take a class this upcoming semester titled - Hitler in Munich. It will be so interesting to compare the perspectives - Jewish American perspective to a German perspective.

I am so thankful for the inciteful conversation that the museum provoked between my mother and me. I love learning and I love challenging my preconceived perceptions.

No comments: